Wednesday 2 January 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Divergent is set in a dyspotain future where everyone must choose which fraction they belong too; Candor (the honest), Amity (the peaceful , Erudite (the intelligent) , Dauntless (the brave) and Abnegation (the selfless). Our heroine Tris starts the story off in Abnegation with her family but on her sixteenth birthday she must choose whether to stay with them or move to a different fraction.

This story wasn't without its flaws, the lack of world building was a real problem for me. There was no talk of how the world came to be this way, you just had to learn to accept it and there was no real character development, apart from Tris and Four, I felt no real connection to anyone else and at times I felt myself not even liking Tris, her mindless violence and lack of empathy for anyone else really bothered me.

However saying that I actually really enjoyed reading this book, I found myself constantly turning the page wondering what would happen next. It was engaging and full of action.The plot was well paced and the story moved quickly and the somewhat harshness of the writing really worked well. The romance between Tris and Four was sweet and endearing and I loved the idea of overcoming fears. Tris, what can I say about her, I found myself loving and hating her all at the same time, even though I couldn't connect with her I found it refreshing to read about a female protagonist that had flaws and made the wrong decisions sometimes. 

I'm definitely going to pick up the sequel insurgent and hopefully some of my questions will be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment