Tuesday 29 January 2013

Happy Anniversary

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that it had begun."

Yesterday marked the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

On 29th January 1813, Jane Austen wrote to her sister Cassandra to tell her that Pride and Prejudice had been published she described the book as "her own darling child". Jane Austen's novels have managed to transcend time, she created independently thinking female protagonists and paved the way for female writers.

Pride and Prejudice will always hold a special place in my heart, it was the first classical novel that I ever read. The language and imagery within it transported me back to a time when ladies wore amazingly extravagant dresses and hosted balls at their stately homes every other week, when language was everything and one remark could ruin a reputation.

Through the years I have revisited Elizabeth and Darcy many times and I always take something new away from it. As my life changes, so does my experience with this book. Mr Darcy was the first fictional character I ever fell in love with, he was the basis of which I formed my ideal partner (and probably not too dis-similar to my boyfriend). Elizabeth was the type of woman I wanted to be, kind and considerate with her family and those she loved but quick witted and independent, not afraid to speak her mind and stand up for what she believes in.

Pride and Prejudice introduced me to a whole new world of literature, one I am still trying to get through today. It is one of the most highly adapted novels, with the likes of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and not to mention the famous BBC adaption with Colin Firth.


If you haven't read this book, then why not? Trust me you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment